All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionCommunication networks underpin our modern world, and provide fascinating and challenging examples of large-scale stochastic systems. Randomness arises in communication systems at many levels: for example, the initiation and termination times of calls in a telephone network, or the statistical structure of the arrival streams of packets at routers in the Internet. How can routing, flow control and connection acceptance algorithms be designed to work well in uncertain and random environments? This compact introduction illustrates how stochastic models can be used to shed light on important issues in the design and control of communication networks. It will appeal to readers with a mathematical background wishing to understand this important area of application, and to those with an engineering background who want to grasp the underlying mathematical theory. Each chapter ends with exercises and suggestions for further reading.
- Author BiographyFrank Kelly is Professor of the Mathematics of Systems at the University of Cambridge. His main research interests are in random processes, networks and optimization. He is especially interested in applications to the design and control of networks and to the understanding of self-regulation in large-scale systems. Elena Yudovina is a postdoctoral research fellow at the University of Michigan. Her research interests are in applications of queueing theory. She received her PhD from the University of Cambridge, where her interest in the subject was sparked by a course on stochastic networks taught by Frank Kelly.
- Author(s)Elena Yudovina,Frank Kelly
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication27/02/2014
- Series TitleInstitute of Mathematical Statistics Textbooks
- Series Part/Volume Number2
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note60 b/w illus. 80 exercises
- Weight390 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.03
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.19
- AU $24.13Trending at AU $27.67
- AU $41.84Trending at AU $49.72
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.45
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.35
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.71
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.