All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSituated on Lake Mlaren on one of the worlds most beautiful harbours, Stockholm has set the benchmark for civilized city-living since the time of the Vikings. Its medieval regal period saw the Vasa dynasty turn a small town in the shadow of Uppsala into the capital city of a dominant power in Europe and a major trading port. In the Napoleonic era Stockholm readjusted its priorities to establish itself as a centre of invation, technical and social. While the city has suffered more than its fair share of disasters, Stockholms cultural and commercial elite transformed it into a community which welcomed invation and spread the fruits of its achievements far beyond its borders. From its celebrated Old Town, dating from the Middle Ages, to its Art Nouveau and modern quarters, Stockholm is a city rich in museums, theatres and landmarks. Tony Griffiths explores the Swedish capital, old and new, revealing a city of unexpected contradictions.
- Author BiographyTony Griffiths is a writer who lives in Adelaide, where he is Associate Professor at Flinders University. The author of Scandinavia (Hurst, 2004), he worked on this book at the European University Institute in Florence.
- Author(s)Tony Griffiths
- PublisherSignal Books Ltd
- Date of Publication01/07/2009
- SubjectTravel Writing
- Series TitleCities of the Imagination
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintSignal Books Ltd
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.68Trending at AU $111.07
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.34
- AU $35.44Trending at AU $40.70
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.33
- AU $19.36Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.01
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.