All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionStories, Pictures and Reality follows two children as they work out the reality status of stories and pictures, with a daily parent-observer record from the birth of the first child until the second is eight, a span of eleven years in all. Together these children pick through the meaning of stories and the motivations of the characters they discover in this unique first-hand description of the discernment that children bring to books from an early age, full of revealing quotes that tell us a great deal about the cognitive development of our young readers: It's a joke 'cause it couldn't really have happened , I'll tell you what's pretend: Batman, Robin, Superman, pirates, cowboys and Indians . Pussy cats don't fly kites! , The man who drawed it was wrong . In analysis this longitudinal study shows that children have more insight and understanding than they are often given credit for and that they approach subjects that puzzle the most sophisticated of thinkers with an elegant simplicity beyond the expectations of conventional psychologists and children's literature commentators. This book urges readers, especially practitioners and academics, to afford greater respect to what young children are capable of in this area.
- Author Biography1996 - Self-employed. 1997 - Create a Kids' Book: workshops, MSS assessment, email courses. 1996 - 2002 Memories in Print: biographies of elderly people for their families. 1995 - 2000, sessional lecturer at Deakin University and Australian Catholic University; English, children's literature and linguistics. 1992-1994 Deakin University, Rusden and Burwood Campuses: Lecturer A8, School of Literature and Journalism, Faculty of Arts. 1988 -1992: St Paul's School, Baxter: Head of Library Services for Woodleigh, the senior campus, and Minimbah, the junior campus at Frankston. 1981-1985: Australian Catholic University, Christ Campus: Senior Tutor, Department of English Literature and Language, both part and full time. 1980: Institute of Early Childhood Development (now School of Early Childhood Studies): Sessional lecturer in children's literature. 1980: Brighton City Library: Children's Librarian. 1967-1969: Essendon-Broadmeadows Regional Library Service (now Moonee Valley Regional Library Service): foundation Children's Librarian. 1963 -1966: Three libraries specialising in textiles, management and engineering.
- Author(s)Virginia Lowe
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication23/11/2006
- SubjectSocial Sciences: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note10 black & white halftones, 19 black & white line drawings
- Weight317 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine11 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $36.60
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.92
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $32.21Trending at AU $40.49
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.07
- AU $34.17Trending at AU $35.13
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.