All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionEssays probing the creative output and widespread influence of a media titan With contributions from Monica J. Casper, Trystan T. Cotten, Karlyn Crowley, Kathleen G. Dixon, Edith Frampton, Adriana Katzew and Lilia De Katzew, Jaap Kooijman, Jennifer Lynn Rexroat, Sherra Lee Schick, and Heather Laine Talley Stories of Oprah is a collection of essays that explores Oprah Winfrey's broad reach as an industry and media brand. Contributors analyze a number of topics touching on the ways in which her cultural output shapes contemporary America. The volume examines how Oprah has fashioned a persona--which emphasizes her rural, poverty-stricken roots over other factors--that helps her popularize her unique blend of New Age spirituality, neoliberal politics, and African American preaching. She packages New Age spirituality through the rhetoric of race, gender, and the black preacher tradition. Oprah's Book Club has reshaped literary publishing, bringing Toni Morrison, William Faulkner, and Cormac McCarthy to a broad number of readers. Her brand extends worldwide through the internet. In this volume writers analyze her positions on teen sexuality, gender, race, and politics, and the impact of Winfrey's confessional mode on mainstream television news. The book also addresses twenty-first-century issues, showing Winfrey's influence on how Americans and Europeans responded to 9/11, and how Harpo Productions created a deracialized film adaptation of Zora Neale Hurston's classic vel Their Eyes Were Watching God in 2005. Throughout, Stories of Oprah challenges readers to reflect on how Oprah the Industry has reshaped America's culture, history, and politics.
- Author BiographyTrystan Cotten is assistant professor of African American studies at California State University. Kimberly Springer is senior lecturer in American studies at King's College London.
- PublisherUniversity Press of Mississippi
- Date of Publication28/09/2013
- SubjectPopular Culture & Media: General Interest
- Place of PublicationJackson
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity Press of Mississippi
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight316 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Edited byKimberly Springer,Trystan Cotten
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.68Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.15Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $50.28Trending at AU $53.01
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.15Trending at AU $35.14
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.