All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionCombining a rich oral tradition of kissas with tropes from Western literature, Punjabi short-story writers have developed their own unique way of portraying love, longing, ecstasy and malice. Spanning a century, these stories talk of life in the village and the town. There are haunting tales about Partition like 'A Matter of Faith' by Gulzar Singh Sandhu where a horrible tragedy is viewed through the eyes of a child. Along with sensitive accounts of life from across the border in Pakistan are tales by the Dalits who until recently had been rendered voiceless. Amrita Pritam's 'The Vault', a metaphor for a barren womb, explores the identity of a Punjabi woman while stories like Surjit Birdi's 'Flies' reveals the concerns faced by the Punjabi diaspora. Translated and edited by Nirupama Dutt, these carefully selected stories reflect every aspect of life in the land of five rivers.
- Author BiographyNirupama Dutt is a poet, art critic and journalist who has published short stories in English and two anthologies of poetry in Punjabi and has received the Punjabi Akademi award for poetry. She has also translated into English the poems, short stories and plays of many contemporary Punjabi, Hindi and Urdu writers and has edited two anthologies of short stories by Pakistani writers and a collection of poetry from South Asia.
- Author(s)Nirupama Dutt
- PublisherPenguin Books India Pvt Ltd
- Date of Publication01/12/2010
- Place of PublicationNew Delhi
- Country of PublicationIndia
- ImprintPenguin Books India
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Cravings: Recipes for All the Food You Want to Eat by Adeena Sussman, Chrissy Teigen (Hardback, 2016)
- AU $43.38New
- AU $30.34New
- AU $22.99New
- AU $30.81New
- AU $20.05New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $11.99Trending at AU $13.93
- AU $39.11Trending at AU $43.38
- AU $60.85Trending at AU $63.06
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.71
- AU $15.95Trending at AU $22.99
- AU $24.58Trending at AU $30.81
- AU $20.89Trending at AU $24.24
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.