Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $79.99Trending at AU $86.19
- AU $52.60Trending at AU $60.94
- AU $72.44Trending at AU $79.02
- AU $36.85Trending at AU $50.68
- AU $43.80Trending at AU $49.26
- AU $12.24Trending at AU $21.04
- AU $13.04Trending at AU $15.66
About this product
- DescriptionStorm Warning is the latest collection from award-winning writer Vanessa Gebbie, described as 'prodigiously gifted' by velist Maggie Gee. It explores the echoes of human conflict in a series of powerful stories inspired by life with the author's own father, who fought and was decorated in WWII, but suffered the after-effects for the rest of his life. Conflict is often explored from the child's perspective and ranges from conventional warfare to historical religious persecution. War veterans are haunted by events that echo louder and louder, and eventually break them. A prisoner sees the violent execution of a friend and mentor, a boy hides from a necklacing, a young student escapes the fighting in Iraq in the hope of continuing his education in the West and a woman tells what she kws of her parents' torture. The people in these stories are t those who go down in history, but ordinary troops, the powerless, caught up involuntarily. All are tested, sometimes to breaking point, in this extraordinary collection as Gebbie explores the surreality of conflict and the after-effects of atrocity.
- Author BiographyVanessa Gebbie is a novelist and award-winning short story writer. Author of two collections: Words from a Glass Bubble and Storm Warning (Salt), her novel The Coward's Tale (Bloomsbury UK/US) was selected as a UK Financial Times Book of the Year and Guardian readers' book of the year. Her stories have been commissioned by literary journals, the British Council, for BBC Radio 3 and BBC Radio 4, and are widely anthologised. www.vanessagebbie.com
- PrizesLong-listed for Edge Hill Prize for the Short Story 2011 and Frank O'Connor International Short Story Award 2011.
- Author(s)Vanessa Gebbie
- PublisherSalt Publishing
- Date of Publication01/11/2010
- SubjectShort Stories & Fiction Anthologies
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- First Published2010
- ImprintSalt Publishing
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight192 g
- Width127 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine7 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.