All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSam Michel is such a smart, manic, virtuosic stylist . . . the kind of deep insights that make you suddenly and newly appreciative of the world around you. --George Saunders There was a hot, high sun, a hard ground and a long way off to any certain water, and my wife, a tenderfoot, I thought, t immodest, seemed bent on ruined feet and spectacle, on making of herself to passing incents a living proof of what could happen to a man and woman ventured too far off alone together in the desert. Yet who passed? Who could be so incent? Snakes and ravens, rabbits, buzzards, toads-- these passed, these witnessed, and what could they have made from us?...I saw myself preceded by my wife. I wanted to follow her, feel what she felt; I thought that I might find myself absolved... Maybe I would get some. Somewhere in me was a cheerful voice assuring me that what this needed was our getting laid. Here is the head of his home--the one to speak, surely--on the occasion of his son Lincoln Dahl Jr.'s fifth birthday. Wife and mother order him to engage with his boy, but he remains in his chair dreaming up the speech he'll give to convey his life and glory to his boy, meanwhile avoiding his child and all others, until forced from his chair. Here's cowboy Beckett, a man of wonder and excess.Sam Michel is the author of Under the Light and Big Dogs and Flyboys.
- Author BiographySam Michel is the author of Under the Light, a collection of stories (Knopf), Lincoln Dahl Turns Five (Tyrant Books), and Big Dogs and Flyboys (Southern Methodist University Press). His fiction has appeared in The Massachusetts Review, The New York Tyrant, Epoch, and elsewhere. In 2008 Sam Michel won the Lidano Fiction Award--a contest for the best short fiction of the year. Sam Michel studied writing under Gordon Lish, who championed his writing and published Michel's first collection at Knopf. He received his MFA degree from the University of Florida.
- Author(s)Sam Michel
- PublisherTyrant Books
- Date of Publication11/12/2012
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectRomance & Sagas
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTyrant Books
- Weight272 g
- Width130 mm
- Height196 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Fiction Books
- AU $30.89New
- AU $71.58New
- AU $78.99New
- AU $49.08New
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $24.49Trending at AU $30.89
- AU $12.20Trending at AU $16.32
- AU $74.56Trending at AU $82.83
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $22.39
- AU $10.68Trending at AU $18.62
- AU $22.30Trending at AU $22.82
- AU $20.95Trending at AU $23.47
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.