All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Indian health system has a poor global ranking. A new perspective on health system planning and development is required to improve the situation and build a health system responsive to the needs of the country. Strategic Issues and Challenges in Health Management addresses these concerns while also highlighting the challenges in delivering efficient and effective health services. The book discusses health sector reforms like financing, Public-Private Partnership (PPP), higher efficiency and cost-effectiveness. It deals with national health programmes, focusing on maternal and child health, infectious diseases, tuberculosis and malaria. The problems of urban health in the context of transition of the demographic and disease pattern in urban areas is also brought to the fore. Critical issues related to health and ecomic development, future challenges facing health systems, the policy challenges facing the implementation of the PPP approach, the issue of equity in health financing, as well as the roadblocks to efficient establishment of PPP are analysed. The book also deals with restructuring of the health system, while exploring capacity development as a process of health management. Written by well-kwn academics, health policy makers and health managers, this volume shall be of interest to health professionals, students and scholars of health ecomics, as well as those working in the areas of health and strategic management.
- Author BiographyK V Ramani was Chairman of the Centre for Management of Health Services, Public Systems Group, Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad (IIMA) (2004-2007), obtained his Ph.D degree in Operations Research from Cornell University, USA in 1977. He is also a Visiting Professor at the Leeds University Business School, UK. Dr Ramani has served as a member on the IIMA Board of Governors. Dr Ramani has published extensively in international refereed journals such as Journal of Health Organization and Management, Interfaces, Naval Research Logistics, Journal of Strategic Information Systems, Computers & Education, Simulation among others. He has been a consultant to the Commonwealth Secretariat, World Bank, European Commission, DFID, and a number of hospitals in India and abroad. His teaching and research interests are in hospital logistics management, urban health and HIV/AIDS. Some of his ongoing research projects are on management capacity assessment for RCH Program; health policy in India, China, and Vietnam; managing urban health; social obligations for Cancer care; case studies on safe motherhood; managerial challenges in HIV/AIDS, and corruption in health systems, University of Leeds. Dileep Mavalankar is Associate Professor, Public Systems Group, IIMA, and has a doctorate in public health from Johns Hopkins University, USA and a doctorate in medicine from Gujarat University. He has worked in various research and academic institutions including National Institute of Health in Bethesda, USA, NHL Medical College, Ahmedabad and Columbia University, USA. Dr Mavalankar has authored over 20 publications on public health and health management topics. He has been consultant/adviser of numerous organizations and governments, including the Mother Care Project, USA, the World Health Organization, Geneva, Philippines and China, the Aga Khan Foundation among others. He also has worked with several NGOs in India. He has been on editorial boards of some public health journals. His present work includes improving management of emergency obstetric care in rural hospitals; strengthening reproductive health programme management; improving the quality of care in family welfare; health policy analysis and implications; collaboration of NGO and the government in health programmes and management of the service sector and quality of services. Dipti Govil is currently associated with Centre for Management of Health Services, Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad and working on health policy process in India. She holds a Ph.D. and masters degree in Population Studies from International Institute of Population Sciences, Mumbai. Her specific interests include community and women's health, population and development, health system and quality of care. She has also worked on blood banking services in India.
- PublisherSAGE Publications Inc
- Date of Publication10/06/2008
- SubjectMedicine: General
- Place of PublicationThousand Oaks
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSAGE Publications Inc
- Content NoteIllustrations, maps
- Weight386 g
- Width139 mm
- Height215 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Edited byDileep V. Mavalankar,Dipti Govil,K. V. Ramani
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $67.92Trending at AU $111.00
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $42.49
- AU $18.56Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $48.98
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.29
- AU $51.95Trending at AU $53.03
- AU $22.59Trending at AU $27.63
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.