All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionShrinking profits, mergers, and new competitive pressures have led many companies to the realization that slimming down is w essential for corporate survival. This first comprehensive treatment of downsizing as a component of organization planning addresses the critical considerations and concerns that must be taken into account in any such organizational restructuring. This book shows how to find out what functions and units your organization should have and how they should fit together for the organization to survive and prosper in its environment. Dougherty presents both practical advice and the theory behind it, as well as case studies drawn from his own forty-five years of experience as an organization planner in private industry, government, and the military. He illustrates how to ascertain the most efficient design and size of the organization based on its business plan, and then, how to reduce the size of the organization accordingly. Written from a hands-on, managerial perspective, the book begns by defining organization planning and discussing the barriers to its successful performance. Dougherty goes on to describe powerful analytical tools and techniques available to the organization planner and to illustrate their application in real world situations. He explains the steps that must be taken to develop a sound organization structure,among them defining jobs, evaluating qualifications, compiling short- and long-range plans, changing the work of key managers and executives, and implementing the plan. The case study section shows how these principles, tools, and techniques were applied in organizations ranging from a large automobile company, to a recreation company, to an art association with only seven employees, as well as a church and a management association with paid employees. The final section presents recommendations for the business practitioner. By clearly setting forth the issues involved and the requirements for success in corporate downsizing, Dougherty has made a major cotribution to the ongoing quest for greater corporate organizational efficiency and improved performance.
- Author BiographyDAVID C. DOUGHERTY is Managing Director of David C. Dougherty & Associates, which provides organization and personnel consulting services to manufacturing companies and banks. /e He was formerly an organization planner at Chrysler, Brunswick, Keebler, Amerace, The First National Bank of Chicago, and Allied Products Corporation. He is president of the Chicago Chapter of the Society for the Advancement of Management as well as fellow and honorary life member. He has lectured on organization at the AMA Management Course and at numerous seminars and courses. He has written an article in Personnel entitled, The Function of Top Management Organization Planning and Control in a Manufacturing Corporation.
- Author(s)David C. Dougherty
- Date of Publication07/03/1989
- SubjectManagement Techniques: Professional
- Place of PublicationSanta Barbara, CA
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintQuorum Books,U.S.
- Content Note1, black & white illustrations
- Weight562 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $89.67New
- AU $41.13Used
Cravings: Recipes for All the Food You Want to Eat by Adeena Sussman, Chrissy Teigen (Hardback, 2016)
- AU $43.36New
- AU $112.89New
- AU $97.70Used
- AU $33.23New
- AU $30.36New
- AU $20.41New
- AU $30.78New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.16Trending at AU $43.36
- AU $29.55Trending at AU $30.36
- AU $61.00Trending at AU $63.02
- AU $49.19Trending at AU $52.68
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $30.78
- AU $28.32Trending at AU $30.23
- AU $44.93Trending at AU $46.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.