All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn 1934, Igor Stravinsky was fifty-two, a Russian expatriate living in Paris and already regarded by many as the most important composer of his generation. Stravinsky: The Second Exile follows him through the remainder of his long life, which he would spend largely in the United States. These are the years during which he would compose such masterworks as The Rake's Progress and Symphony in C, and achieve a new level of fame as a conductor and concert pianist in his own right. In this second and final volume of Stephen Walsh's acclaimed biography, the author traces and illuminates Stravinsky's increasingly complex and often agonised family life and his crucially important relationship with his associate Robert Craft. As a musicologist and critic, Walsh is able to speak with authority and wit t only about Stravinsky's life, but also about his work, expertly following the composer's musical journey from the neoclassicism of his late French and early American periods, through his early essays in serial technique, and on finally to the astonishing complexities of this protean genius's final works. Based on exhaustive research, Stephen Walsh uncovers new and controversial material, making this the second volume of the most definitive biography of the most significant and influential composer of the twentieth century.
- Author BiographyStephen Walsh is a critic and musicologist who has written and broadcast extensively on Stravinsky and many other aspects of twentieth-century music. He was for some years a music critic with the Observer and The Times, and now writes for the Independent. The widely praised first volume of the present biography, Stravinsky: A Creative Spring, won the Royal Philharmonic Society prize for best music book of the year 2000. Stephen Walsh currently holds a personal chair in the music department of Cardiff University.
- Author(s)Stephen Walsh
- PublisherVintage Publishing
- Date of Publication02/08/2007
- SubjectBiography: General
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note16 pp b/w photographs
- Weight973 g
- Width153 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine55 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $190.23New
- AU $73.99New
- AU $61.14Used
- AU $93.21New
- AU $101.29New
- AU $70.76New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $81.85
- AU $22.09Trending at AU $23.82
- AU $87.99Trending at AU $90.37
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.30
- AU $39.15Trending at AU $50.15
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $73.99
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.61
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.