Straws in the Wind: Medieval Urban Environmental Law - The Case of Northern Italy by Ronald Edward Zupko, Robert Anthony Laures (Paperback, 1996)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $60.44Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $23.34+ AU $25.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe quest to create a decent world, to maintain a clean environment, and to nurture a self-renewing inheritance to pass on to future generations is t unique to the twentieth-century. Rather, as Ronald Zupko and Robert Laures show in this fascinating study of medieval environmental attitudes and regulations, it has been the recurring dream of men and women for centuries.The history of the medieval towns of rthern and central Italy opens a window onto the concerns of urban elites throughout the medieval world regarding the environment and quality of life. In Straws in the Wind, the authors demonstrate that legislative efforts to control the environment were neither haphazard r accidental. Rather, they were rational responses to perceived needs, often based on a valuable store of kwledge inherited from their Roman forebears.Zupko and Laures describe who these early environmentalists were, what motivated them, how they shaped the environmental programs they devised, and how they implemented and enforced these regulations. The book examines the efforts of town officials, often acting independently of powerful regional, papal, and imperial authorities, to provide their citizens with the best possible urban quality of life--within the limits of their kwledge, experience, and techlogy. Moreover, Zupko and Laures reveal evidence of grassroots support for the protection of resources and for the preservation of air, water, and the aesthetic qualities of the urban environment. The results of these efforts, when compared to those of the modern environmental movement, were very modest, merely Straws in the Wind. Nonetheless, they were the harbingers of the future.
- Author BiographyRonald Edward Zupko is professor of history at Marquette University. Robert Anthony Laures is a medieval historian living in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Ronald Edward Zupko is professor of history at Marquette University. Robert Anthony Laures is a medieval historian living in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
- Author(s)Robert Anthony Laures,Ronald Edward Zupko
- PublisherThe Perseus Books Group
- Date of Publication24/05/1996
- Place of PublicationBoulder, CO
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWestview Press Inc
- Content Notenotes, bibliography, index
- Weight274 g
- Width156 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine11 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $192.00Trending at AU $201.92
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.91
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.53
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $84.09
- AU $64.76Trending at AU $68.94
- AU $76.88Trending at AU $78.43
- AU $108.88Trending at AU $111.46
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.