All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionNaples is always a shock, flaunting beauty and squalor like where else. It is the only city in Europe whose ancient past still lives in its irrepressible people. In 1503, Naples was the Mediterranean capital of Spain's world empire and the base for the Christian struggle with Islam. It was a European metropolis matched only by Paris and Istanbul, an extraordinary concentration of military power, lavish consumption, poverty and desperation. It was to Naples in 1606 that Michelangelo Merisi fled after a fatal street fight, and there released a great age in European art - until everything erupted in a revolt by the dispossessed, and the people of an occupied city brought Europe into the modern world. Ranging across nearly three thousand years of Neapolitan life and art, from the first Greek landings in Italy to the author's own, less auspicious, arrival thirty-something years ago, Street Fight in Naples brings vividly to life the tumultuous and, at times, tragic history of Naples.
- Author BiographyPeter Robb's first book, Midnight in Sicily (1996), was a bestseller in the UK and Australia. It won the Victorian Premier's Prize for Nonfiction in 1997. His book M (1998), about the painter Michelangelo Merisi, won the same prize, and the National Biography Award, two years later. It was a bestseller in the US and a New York Times Notable Book for 2000. A Death in Brazil (2003) was the Age Nonfiction Book of the Year and won the Queensland Premier's Award for Nonfiction in 2004. Peter Robb has also published a book of pulp novellas called Pig's Blood and Other Fluids (1999), which won nothing.
- Author(s)Peter Robb
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication01/07/2012
- SubjectTravel Writing
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Weight349 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.86
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.37
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $75.12
- AU $31.50Trending at AU $37.08
- AU $24.09Trending at AU $28.32
- AU $9.83Trending at AU $13.35
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.