Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $24.95+ AU $7.95 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- Description'A book of sketches, brief personal essays, reminiscenes, and full stories, all beautifully composed as individual pieces and all coming together, in collective design, as a work of insight, awareness, and illumination...They are a memorable pair, Maman and Papa, deeply seen and beautifully rendered. But indeed all of the persons of this book are rendered with a gentle, exact clarity' - New York Times . 'The stories vary greatly in mood, in purpose, in length, but never in sensitivity...Some are very amusing and most are touched with humor in delicate ways, but the tone of the whole is of sadness, of lost dreams, of adjusting illusions to life...A lovely and appealing book, written with great skill' - Kirkus .Semiautobiographical and universal in appeal, Street of Riches is about a young girl's growing up in a suburb of Winnipeg, Manitoba. Here is Christine, the perceptive narrator of The Road Past Altamont (also a Bison Book), awakening to natural and sometimes terrifying beauty, to family history, to the nuances of social life, to sexuality, to selfhood. A mother's romantic yearning for freedom, a father's roving career as an immigration officer, a beautiful sister's early demise, a host of other in very human situations - all contribute to the way Christine will view the world as a writer. Gabrielle Roy has been called the Canadian Willa Cather because of their affinity in style and theme. Street of Riches won both the Goverr-General's Award for Fiction and the French Prix Duvernay.
- Author BiographyGabrielle Roy has been called the Canadian Willa Cather because of their affinity in style and theme. Street of Riches won both the Governor-General's Award for Fiction and the French Prix Duvernay.
- Author(s)Gabrielle Roy
- PublisherUniversity of Nebraska Press
- Date of Publication01/06/1993
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationLincoln
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Nebraska Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight277 g
- Width135 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine16 mm
- Translated byHenry Binsse
Best Selling in Fiction Books
- AU $15.08New
- AU $8.05Used
- AU $65.33New
- AU $52.51Used
- AU $16.57New
- AU $18.33New
- AU $27.95New
- AU $6.80New
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $49.95Trending at AU $53.36
- AU $11.65Trending at AU $12.39
- AU $14.99Trending at AU $15.95
- AU $55.66Trending at AU $57.80
- AU $33.92Trending at AU $35.93
- AU $20.66Trending at AU $22.26
- AU $19.25Trending at AU $19.88
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.