All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionStress names a kind of grief unique to the modern period, a grief perpetually unresolved, evoked by the rapid and relentless changes characteristic of modernity. Because our grief is always unresolved, the passion of mourning is perpetually productive. Stress is also a discourse, a mutation of experience by the external power of speech, a power that can devour what it articulates. Yet, it was t until World War II, when the psychiatric difficulties of pilots and bombers in particular brought stress into the open, that stress became a topic of medical and psychological research and a named cause of disorders. The term borrows the tions of pressure and tension from the engineering world. The seeds of stress are found around 1750, when the tion of luxury changed in meaning from a vice to be avoided to a virtue to be vigorously pursued. Before this time, human existence differed from ours in such a way that we detect stress or anything like it. The book includes a phemelogy of the experience of stress, a history of the construction of engineered grief, and an assessment of stress management programs. Because such programs seek to make us comfortable with stress, they do t move us to bring the work of grieving to a resolution. This book will be of interest to post-modernists, phemelogists, social constructionists, hermeneuticists, deconstructionists, social historians, and medical historians.
- Author BiographyROBERT KUGELMANN is an Associate Professor of Psychology at the University of Dallas. He is the author of The Windows of the Soul: Psychological Physiology of the Human Eye and Primary Glaucoma (1983).
- Author(s)Robert Kugelmann
- Date of Publication17/09/1992
- SubjectPsychology: Professional & General
- Place of PublicationWestport
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPraeger Publishers Inc
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight493 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $99.00Trending at AU $100.37
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.94
- AU $85.90Trending at AU $91.12
- AU $95.88Trending at AU $100.60
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $107.45
- AU $99.90Trending at AU $101.68
- AU $95.00Trending at AU $99.21
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.