Stretcher Bearer: Fighting for Life in the Trenches by Charles Horton (Paperback, 2013)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $12.26Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by blackwelloxford
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $25.00Free postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by ozpierre
- Est. delivery by 26 Jan
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAmong the thousands of men who shivered and suffered in the trenches during the First World War, some did t even have the protection of a weapon. Members of the Royal Army Medical Corps (the RAMC) were there t to take lives, but to save them. Many chose this difficult and dangerous work because of their principles - including volunteer Charles Horton, who went through the horrors of Passchendaele, Ypres and the Somme, fighting to get the injured away from the guns, to the safety of the field hospitals and beyond. After the war, Horton felt that the RAMC and their sacrifices were forgotten, and so in 1970 he wrote down his memories. In this glorious book, full of first hand detail, he takes us back to the trenches in France and the mountains of Italy. This is a wonderful authentic account into one man's struggle to survive - and to keep others alive. With the approval of Horton's family, author Dale le Vack has edited Horton's journals for clarity, and added more text to provide background. The result is a superb memoir of one of the darkest periods in history.
- Author BiographyCharles 'Bert' Horton was a non-comformist from Handsworth who served on the Western Front as a stretcher bearer in the Royal Army Medical Corps. Dale le Vack is an international broadcast journalist and television producer with over four decades experience in the UK print and electronic media. He was on the staff of the BBC and a producer/director at Thames Television. He now lives in Stratford-upon-Avon where he works as a journalist. This is his first book.
- Author(s)Charles Horton
- PublisherLion Hudson Plc
- Date of Publication19/03/2013
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintLion Books
- Content Note8pp b/w plate section
- Weight177 g
- Width130 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edited byDale Le Vack
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
- Interest AgeFrom 16
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $37.00Trending at AU $37.87
- AU $23.22Trending at AU $28.84
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.55
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $9.93
- AU $15.62Trending at AU $17.52
- AU $43.92Trending at AU $50.31
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.93
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.