All listings for this product
Sponsored by eBay Stores
About this product
- DescriptionBe in doubt: the beer was drunk but the man drank the beer. We must avoid vulgarities like 'front up'. If someone is 'fronting up' a television show, then he is presenting it. Simon Heffer's incisive and amusingly despairing emails to colleagues at the The Daily Telegraph about grammatical mistakes and stylistic slips have found their way on to the internet and have attracted a growing band of ardent fans over recent years. Now, in his new book Strictly English, he makes an impassioned case for an end to the sloppiness that has become such a hallmark of everyday speech and writing, and shows how accuracy and clarity are within the grasp of anyone who is prepared to take the time to master a few simple rules. If you wince when you see different than in print, or are offended by people who think that infer and imply mean the same thing, then this book will provide reassurance that you are t alone. If you have a suspicion that it is wrong to say the car collided with the tree but are t quite sure why, then it will set you straight. And if you believe that precise and elegant English really does matter, then it will prove required reading.
- Author BiographyIn a career of more than 25 years in Fleet Street Simon Heffer has written columns for and held senior positions on the Daily Mail, The Daily Telegraph and The Spectator. It was while associate editor of The Daily Telegraph that his emails to staff lamenting their lapses in English became an internet cult, and led to the writing of this book. He read English at Cambridge and holds a PhD from that university in history. His previous books include:Moral Desperado: A Life of Thomas Carlyle,Like the Roman: The Life of Enoch Powell,Nor Shall My Sword: The Reinvention of EnglandandVaughan Williams.
- Author(s)Simon Heffer
- Date of Publication09/09/2010
- SubjectStudy Skills & General Studies: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintRandom House Books
- Weight494 g
- Width144 mm
- Height222 mm
- Spine32 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.68Trending at AU $42.56
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $87.92
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.76
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.54
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.42
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.41
- AU $34.71Trending at AU $42.64
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.