All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDespite the profound influence exerted by August Strindberg on the development of modernist theatre and drama, the myth persisted that his plays - particularly such later works as A Dream Play, To Damascus, and The Ghost Sonata - are somehow 'unperformable'. Nothing could be farther from the truth, as this book sets out to demonstrate by providing a detailed performance analysis of the major works created after the period of personal crisis which Strindberg called his Infer. Ranging from the early productions of Max Reinhardt and Olof Molander to the reinterpretations of Robert Lepage, Robert Wilson and Ingmar Bergman in our own day, this study explores the crucial impact that this writer's allusive (and elusive) method of playwriting has had on the changing nature of the theatrical experience. Each chapter ends with a section devoted to invative Strindberg performances on the contemporary stage.
- Author BiographyFrederick J. Marker is Professor Emeritus of English and Drama, University of Toronto. Lise-Lone Marker is Professor Emeritus of Theatrical History, University of Toronto. The Markers have published a wide range of books that include A History of Scandinavian Theatre (1996), Ingmar Bergman: A Life in the Theatre, (1992), Ibsen's Lively Art (1989), Ingmar Bergman: Four Decades in the Theatre (1982) Edward Gordon Craig and 'The Pretenders '(1981), and others. Frederick Marker's other books include studies of Hans Andersen, Kjeld Abell, and several editions and translations. Lise-Lone Marker is the author of David Belasco: Naturalism in the American Theatre and many articles and chapters on subjects ranging from Elizabethan acting to Swedish cinema.
- Author(s)Frederick J. Marker,Lise-Lone Marker
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication16/08/2007
- SubjectOther Performing Arts
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note30 b/w illus.
- Weight270 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best Selling in Non-Fiction Books
The 8-Week Blood Sugar Diet: Lose Weight Fast and Reprogramme Your Body for Life by Michael Mosley (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $19.38New
- AU $7.82Used
- AU $21.30New
Women Who Run with Wolves: Myths and Stories of the Wild Woman Archetype by Clarissa Pinkola Estes (Paperback, 1996)
- AU $13.87New
- AU $6.50Used
- AU $31.93New
- AU $20.05New
- AU $24.96New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $29.75Trending at AU $30.05
- AU $39.99Trending at AU $43.83
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $50.54
- AU $19.74Trending at AU $30.05
- AU $58.25Trending at AU $62.59
- AU $62.84Trending at AU $78.53
- AU $35.08Trending at AU $38.54
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.