All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionStructure as Architecture presents a comprehensive analysis of the indispensable role of structure in architecture. An exploration, as well as a celebration, of structure, the book draws on a series of design studies and case study examples to illustrate how structure can be employed to realize a wide range of concepts in contemporary architecture. By examining design principles that relate to both architecture and structural engineering, Andrew Charleson provides new insights into the relationship between both the technical and aesthetic aspects of architecture. Now in its second edition, the text has been extensively revised and updated throughout. Features include: * A brand new chapter on hidden structure, adding to the material on exposed structures * Two new chapters on using structure to realise common architectural concepts through a combination of precedents and creative design * Over 50 new case studies from across the globe * Easy-to-understand diagrams and a highly visual design to aid understanding and accessibility More than two hundred case studies of contemporary buildings from countries such as the UK, the US, France, Germany, Spain, Hong Kong, Australia and Japan illustrate how a thorough integration of structure adds layers of richness and enhances the realisation of architectural design concepts.
- Author BiographyAndrew Charleson has visited, photographed and analysed almost all of the case-study buildings. He is an Associate Professor at the School of Architecture, Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand. Bringing over forty years structural engineering experience to the topic, he has also authored the book Seismic Design for Architects: Outwitting the Quake and published many papers, not only related to the subject of this book, but also to his other areas of research interest, earthquake engineering and earthquake architecture.
- Author(s)Andrew Charleson
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication01/07/2014
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note470 colour illustrations
- Weight938 g
- Width219 mm
- Height276 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $50.71Trending at AU $61.57
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.75
- AU $32.59Trending at AU $36.89
- AU $30.35Trending at AU $40.13
- AU $30.37Trending at AU $31.40
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.06
- AU $26.84Trending at AU $29.51
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.