All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis volume offers new research in cognitive science by leading scholars, exploring different areas of cognition with an emphasis on language. The contributions -- in such fields as linguistic theory, psycholinguistics, evolution, and consciousness -- reflect the thriving interdisciplinary scholarship in cognitive science today. Ray Jackendoff's pioneering cross-disciplinary work was instrumental in establishing the field, and Structures in the Mind, with contributions from Jackendoff's colleagues and former students, is a testament to his lasting influence. After an introduction that includes short reflections on Jackendoff's work by such scholars as Paul Bloom, Noam Chomsky, Barbara Partee, and Steven Pinker, the book presents chapters on linguistics, which build on Jackendoff's theories of conceptual semantics and parallel architectures; psycholinguistics, reaching from linguistics to psychology and neuroscience; and other topics as varied as the evolution of linguistic and musical abilities, consciousness, music theory, and the grammar of comics -- with this particular chapter taking the form of a comic. The chapters present fresh data, bold claims, and stimulating theoretical discussions, offering a celebration of cognitive science today. ContributorsDaniel Buring, Neil Cohn, Peter W. Culicover, Daniel Dennett, Cecily Jill Duffield, W. Tecumseh Fitch, Lila Gleitman, Jane Grimshaw, Yosef Grodzinsky, Katharina Hartmann, Albert Kim, Max Soowon Kim, Barbara Landau, Fred Lerdahl, Willem J. M. Levelt, Joan Maling, Bhuvana Narasimhan, Urpo Nikanne, Catherine O'Conr, Maria Mercedes Pinango, Daniel Silverman, Henk Verkuyl, Heike Wiese, Eva Wittenberg, Edgar B. Zurif, Joost Zwarts
- Author BiographyIda Toivonen is Associate Professor at the Institute of Cognitive Studies at Carleton University, Ottawa. Piroska Csuri is Associate Lecturer at Universidad de San Andres, Argentina. Emile van der Zee is Principal Lecturer at the University of Lincoln, U.K.
- PublisherMIT Press Ltd
- Date of Publication20/11/2015
- SubjectLife Sciences: General
- Place of PublicationCambridge, Mass.
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMIT Press
- Content Note2 color illus., 10 b&w illus., 59 line drawings
- Weight748 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Edited byEmile van der Zee,Ida Toivonen,Piroska Csuri
- Interest AgeFrom 18
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.06
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.17
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.76
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.75
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.67
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.64
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.76
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.