All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.72
- AU $70.98Trending at AU $87.50
- AU $62.89Trending at AU $77.17
- AU $78.98Trending at AU $85.01
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.03
- AU $34.79Trending at AU $42.43
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $24.76
About this product
- DescriptionRecent flashpoints in Black-Jewish relations-Louis Farrakhan's Million Man March, the violence in Crown Heights, Leonard Jeffries' polemical speeches, the O.J. Simpson verdict, and the contentious responses to these events-suggest just how wide the gap has become in the fragile coalition that was formed during the Civil Rights movement of the 1960s. Instead of critical dialogue and respectful exchange, we have witnessed battles that too often consist of vulgar name-calling and self-righteous finger-pointing. Absent from these exchanges are two vitally important and potentially healing elements: Comprehension of the actual history between Blacks and Jews, and level-headed discussion of the many issues that currently divide the two groups. In Struggles in the Promised Land, editors Jack Salzman and Cornel West bring together twenty-one illuminating essays that fill precisely this absence. As Salzman makes clear in his introduction, the purpose of this collection is t to offer quick fixes to the present crisis but to provide a clarifying historical framework from which lasting solutions may emerge.
- Author BiographyJack Salzman, former Director of the Center for American Culture Studies, Columbia University, is Head of Media and Special Programs, TheJewish Museum. He is the editor of Bridges and Boundaries: African Americans and American Jews and, with Cornel West, Encyclopedia of African American Culture And History. Cornel West is Professor of Philosophy of Religion and Afro-American Studies at Harvard. His books include Race Matters and Jews and Blacks: Let the Healing Begin.
- PublisherOxford University Press Inc
- Date of Publication01/02/1997
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintOxford University Press Inc
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight776 g
- Width162 mm
- Height240 mm
- Spine33 mm
- Edited byCornel West,Jack Salzman
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.