Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.02Trending at AU $36.78
- AU $16.41Trending at AU $22.77
- AU $14.93Trending at AU $21.99
- AU $27.74Trending at AU $29.97
- AU $13.01Trending at AU $16.62
- AU $14.82Trending at AU $17.90
- AU $25.99Trending at AU $32.06
About this product
- DescriptionHarriet Martineau (1802-76) was an ecomist, sociologist, historian, journalist and educator, whose writings on many aspects of Victorian life were widely read and are w increasingly studied. She wrote 70+ books, many periodical articles and 1600+ Daily News leaders (as well as thousands of letters) on many subjects including the laws of social life and the science of society, women's rights, religion and science, industrialization and worker-employer relations, the socialization and education of children, modern history and Victorian politics, social aspects of illness and treatment, and on many other matters. Following the success of her Illustrations of Political Ecomy , she set sail in 1834 for America. For two years Martineau travelled throughout the new country, interviewing people of all classes, occupations, races and religions including the President, Congressmen and judges, American Indians, Black workers in the cotton fields, miners, farmers, convicts on death row, kitchen maids, and many others. She used every possible means of transport, extolling the virtues of walking, and studied documents, cemeteries, government statistics, literature and culture, newspapers, as important sources of information about American society. Martineau reported her investigations in the seven books included in this set. They are remarkable t only for their encyclopaedic content but also for their rigorous methodology, as set out by Martineau in Volume 1, How to Observe Morals and Manners . Her extraordinary studies have led many to identify her as the first woman sociologist . Supplemented by the selection of scarce articles and letters in Volume 8, the set provides the first ever comprehensive and integrated collection of Martineau's American writings.
- Author(s)Harriet Martineau
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication11/12/2003
- SubjectGender Studies / Gay & Lesbian Studies
- Series TitleHistory of American Thought S.
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintThoemmes Continuum
- Out-of-print date17/07/2015
- Content Note1 map, 1 port
- Weight4772 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine271 mm
- Volume editorSusan Hoecker-Drysdale
- Contained items statement8 Hardbacks
- Edition StatementFacsimile edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.