All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.73
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
About this product
- DescriptionInspired by Frank Palmer's work, this book addresses a set of specific topics pertaining to the description of modality in English and places them in a broader context. A number of more general theoretical and typological matters are also raised, which bear upon the theory of syntax, semantics and pragmatics and their interfaces. The methodology adopted is mostly functional-typological, though some reference is made to various theoretical frameworks, ranging from cognitive linguistics to parametric variation. Modal meanings are seen to extend beyond particular lexical and grammatical exponents, through sentential semantics and into actual contexts of use. At the same time, the study of modality seems to challenge commonly held views on the relationship between different levels of linguistic analysis. Other languages discussed include Brazilian Portuguese, Classical and Modern Greek and Spanish.
- Author BiographyThe Editors: Anastasios Tsangalidis studied English and Linguistics in Thessaloniki, Edinburgh, Dublin and Cambridge and is currently Assistant Professor in Syntax-Semantics at the School of English, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki. Roberta Facchinetti is Full Professor of English Language and Linguistics at the University of Verona, Italy. Her research field and publications are mainly concerned with language description, textual analysis and pragmatics. This is done mostly by means of computerized corpora of both synchronic and diachronic English.
- PublisherPeter Lang AG, Internationaler Verlag der Wissenschaften
- Date of Publication01/10/2009
- Series TitleLinguistic Insights
- Series Part/Volume Number111
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- ImprintPeter Lang AG, Internationaler Verlag der Wissenschaften
- Content Noteill., fig. and tables
- Weight570 g
- Edited byAnastasios Tsangalidis,Roberta Facchinetti
- Edition Statement1st New edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.