All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionLeaving China to study in the UK for the first time can be a daunting experience. You will be entering a new country and education system with its own culture, customs and values, some of which will be totally different from those back home. You will need to acquaint yourself with these differences to achieve your goals while studying in the UK and make the most of your stay. You may be finding it difficult to find this information, you may even be feeling anxious about the move or struggling to fit into your new environment. Help is at hand! This easy-to-read book is designed to be your companion throughout your university studies in the UK, providing practical information and skills and strategies for success. This guide: * Introduces you to many life skills needed to support your studies in the UK, such as food, socialising and local amenities * Contains information regarding UK assessment, lectures, seminars, campus life and support available from faculty * Covers language and comprehension skills to help you communicate in your work and in the classroom with peers * Explains the main differences between Eastern and Western thinking and culture * Includes research skills and strategies for dissertations, essays and exams. Other useful features: * Xiangping has included study tips in Chinese to help you fully understand each chapter * Key words in each chapter are also provided in Chinese, alongside a test on the topic * Hear from other Chinese students about their own experiences studying in the UK. This essential guide will help you to flourish in your UK studies and enjoy yourself along the way! SAGE Study Skills are essential study guides for students of all levels. From how to write great essays and succeeding at university, to writing your undergraduate dissertation and doing postgraduate research, SAGE Study Skills help you get the best from your time at university.
- Author BiographyDr Mike Courtney is an Academic Skills Tutor at the University of Hertfordshire, UK. He has taught in China, Hong Kong, Malaysia, The Middle East and the UK. He has researched the influence of culture and language on learning styles and academic skill development. He currently teaches in the UK and in Hong Kong, in the area of academic skills development and Open Learning. Dr Xiangping Du is an Academic Skills Tutor at the University of Hertfordshire, UK, supporting students in a wide range of academic skills areas. She studied in both a Chinese and English higher education environment, and understands the different academic expectations from her own experience both as a student and as a Tutor. Her research in investigating Chinese students' perception of motivation towards, and identification with, the English language, enhanced her understanding of the academic challenges Chinese students face when they come to study in an English context.
- Author(s)Mike Courtney,Xiangping Du
- PublisherSAGE Publications Ltd
- Date of Publication18/11/2014
- SubjectStudy Skills & General Studies: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleSage Study Skills Series
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintSAGE Publications Ltd
- Weight635 g
- Width188 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.73Trending at AU $22.02
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.23
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.55
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.42
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.79
- AU $11.63Trending at AU $21.86
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.