All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis is a concise study guide for the fledgling student of Judaism, covering critical issues and methodology. This volume in the Studying World Religions series is an essential guide to the study of Jewish faith. Clearly structured to cover all the major areas of study, including historical foundations, scripture, worship, society, thought and ethics, this is the ideal study aid for those approaching Judaism for the first time. Studying Judaism offers readers the chance to engage with a religious tradition as a diverse, living phemen. Its approach is 'critical' in two major respects: its use of the dimensional approach to the study of religions as an interpretive framework, and its focus on matters perceived as problematic by insider and/or outsider commentators, such as gender, demography, geo-politics, the 'museumisation' of Jewish cultures and its impact on religion and identity. A series of introductory guides, books in the Studying World Religions series are designed as study aids for those approaching the world's religions for the first time. Rather than attempting to cover all the material, the critical and methodological issues that students need to grasp in the study of each religious tradition - and religion in general - are drawn out, and the major contemporary debates explored. Readers are offered the chance to engage with religious traditions as diverse, living phemena. With helpful suggestions for further study, pointing students towards material such as primary sources (scriptures), films and vels, and including ideas for teaching, discussion topics and exercises, these guides are the perfect companions for the fledgling student of religion.
- Author BiographyMelanie J. Wright is Academic Director of the Centre for the Study of Jewish-Christian Relations, Affiliated Lecturer in the University of Cambridge's Faculty of Divinity and a Fellow of Girton College. Her pervious publications include Understanding Judaism (Orchard Academic) and Religion and Film: An Introduction (I. B. Tauris), UK.
- Author(s)Melanie Jane Wright
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication15/03/2012
- SubjectReligious Studies: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleStudying World Religions
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintContinuum International Publishing Group Ltd.
- Content Note10 bw illustrations
- Weight540 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.03
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.19
- AU $24.13Trending at AU $27.67
- AU $41.84Trending at AU $49.72
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.45
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.35
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.71
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.