All listings for this product
About this product
- Description* How do the life histories of women teachers illuminate the gendered nature of the teaching profession? * How do women teachers negotiate their own sense of self against/within cultural stereotypes of teachers? Situated within current feminist/poststructuralist theories regarding the 'subject', this book takes seriously the lives of women teachers. Drawing on the life histories of three teachers, it explores their narrative strategies to author themselves as active agents within and against the essentializing discourses of teaching. The complex and contradictory ways in which these women construct themselves as subjects, while simultaneously disrupting the tion of a unitary subject, provide new ways to think about subjectivity, resistance, power and agency. The implications of this reconceptualization for feminist theorizing, curriculum theory and life history research are woven throughout the book.
- Author BiographyPetra Munro is an Associate Professor of Education at Louisiana State University. Informed by a feminist/poststructuralist perspective, her research interests focus on the narrative analysis of curriculum history, women's life histories and the discourses of qualitative methodology. She has co-authored Repositioning Feminism and Education: Perspectives on Education for Social Change. At the moment she is completing her book Engendering Curriculum History.
- Author(s)Peter Munro
- PublisherOpen University Press
- Date of Publication01/04/1998
- SubjectGender Studies / Gay & Lesbian Studies
- Series TitleFeminist Educational Thinking
- Place of PublicationMilton Keynes
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOpen University Press
- Content Notereferences, index
- Weight280 g
- Width61 mm
- Height91 mm
- Spine3 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.87
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $30.98
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $32.21Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $34.80
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.