All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis volume deals with some theoretical and practical aspects of expressing subjectivity (subjective epistemic modality) in English. Its main concern is cognitive predicates and modal auxiliaries, but it also gives insights on how other elements of the language are capable of expressing epistemic modality. It compares the Theory of Government and Binding, Cognitive Grammar (chiefly Langacker's version), and to some extent, truth-functional theory from the point of view of how they can account for relevant aspects of the syntax and semantics of elements expressing subjectivity. The book has an obvious cognitive bias, but this does t prevent the author from suggesting substantial modifications in Langacker's theory of epistemic grounding, which he regards as an essential theoretical tool in handling the linguistic aspects of all problems connected with the expression of subjectivity in English.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Peter Pelyvas is currently professor at the Department of English Language and Linguistics, Lajos Kossuth University, Debrecen.
- Author(s)Peter Pelyvas
- PublisherPeter Lang GmbH
- Date of Publication01/01/1996
- Series TitleMetalinguistica: Debrecen Studies in Linguistics
- Series Part/Volume Numberv. 3
- Place of PublicationFrankfurt am Main
- Country of PublicationGermany
- First Published1996
- ImprintPeter Lang GmbH
- Content Notefig.
- Weight290 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $74.22New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.43Trending at AU $23.89
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $119.81
- AU $88.13Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $74.22
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.