All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSubjectivity, the speaker s expression of self in discourse, is a relatively under-researched area in the field of applied linguistics: this book examines the role of subjectivity in the context of second language use. Drawing on insights from discourse analysis and pragmatics, it describes how a group of students studying French at degree level at the University of Cambridge, England, convey expressions of subjectivity in personal narratives and argumentative language. In this book, the author begins by introducing the reader to key areas in the study of discourse. Using a methodology that has much in common with descriptive linguistics, he provides a wide-ranging account of how forms in language are used to convey the expression of subjectivity. His particular concern is to examine how these markers of subjectivity are used differently by native and n-native speakers of French. The discussion is carefully supplemented throughout with a variety of exemplification and discourse types, including personal narratives in French and English and transcripts of video-taped interactions in role-plays. In the course of his analysis, the author questions long-held assumptions about the way French is taught in secondary schools and in higher education institutions. The range of issues discussed, as well as the variety of examples used, will make this a valuable book t only for students of applied linguistics but also for any reader wishing to gain a deeper understanding of how the expression of subjectivity can contribute to the learning of a second language.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Alan Wolf, born in Nimes, France, has been a lecturer in Pragmatics at the University of Durham, UK, since 2003. He has published articles on the role of context in second language learning and on learners abilities to recover inferences in ironical and metaphorical utterances. His recently completed Ph.D. (The University of Cambridge, Clare College, England) was in the area of subjectivity and second language use.
- Author(s)Alan J. E. Wolf
- PublisherVerlag Peter Lang
- Date of Publication01/06/2006
- Series TitleContemporary Studies in Descriptive Linguistics
- Series Part/Volume Number8
- Place of PublicationPieterlen
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- ImprintVerlag Peter Lang
- Weight360 g
- Width220 mm
- Height150 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $192.00Trending at AU $201.92
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.91
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $79.14
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $84.09
- AU $64.76Trending at AU $68.94
- AU $76.88Trending at AU $78.43
- AU $108.88Trending at AU $111.46
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.