All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionZora Anderson is a 30-year-old African American middle class, college educated woman, trained as a chef, looking for a job. As fate would have it, Kate and Craig, a married couple, aspiring professionals with a young child are looking for a nanny. Zora seems perfect. She's an enthusiastic caretaker, a competent house keeper, a great cook. And she wants the job, despite the fact that she won't let her African American parents and brother kw anything about this new career move. They expect much more from her than to use all that good education to do what so many Blacks have dreamed of t doing: working for White folks. Working as an au pair in Paris, France less, was one thing, they could accept that. Being a servant to a couple t much older r more educated, is yet ather. Every adult character involved in this tangled web is hiding something: the husband is hiding his desire to turn a passion for comic books into a business from his wife, the wife is hiding her professional ambitions from her husband, the nanny is hiding her job from her family and maybe her motivations for staying on her job from herself. Memorable characters, real-life tensions and concerns and the charming-in a hip kind of way-modern-day Park Slope, Fort Greene, Brooklyn setting make for an un-put-down-able read.
- Author BiographyLori L. Tharps is the author of Kinky Gazpacho: Life, Love & Spain, named by Salon.com as one of their top ten books for 2008, and the co-author of Hair Story: Untangling the Roots of Black Hair in America. She is an assistant professor of journalism at Temple University in Philadelphia, PA, where she makes her home with her husband and family. She doesn't have a nanny.
- Author(s)Lori L. Tharps
- PublisherAtria Books
- Date of Publication02/08/2010
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2010
- ImprintAtria Books
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight317 g
- Width134 mm
- Height209 mm
- Spine27 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Fiction Books
- AU $30.89New
- AU $71.58New
- AU $78.99New
- AU $49.08New
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $24.49Trending at AU $30.89
- AU $12.20Trending at AU $16.32
- AU $74.55Trending at AU $82.83
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $22.39
- AU $10.68Trending at AU $18.62
- AU $22.30Trending at AU $22.82
- AU $20.95Trending at AU $23.47
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.