All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis fascinating compilation of colour photographs reveals the hidden underground of Stockport - a town with a rich industrial past - from silk and cotton spinning to world rewned hat making. Since the eighteenth century weirs were built and tunnels were driven to supply water to silk and cotton mills. Vaults, dungeons and air raid shelters were excavated in the rock beneath the streets. As the industries died out, their tunnels were abandoned. Once open streams were covered over and forgotten. The book chronicles the adventures of a group of urban explorers who have spent several years plunging into and documenting Stockport's lost water tunnels, culverts, caves and cellars. They have faced and overcome challenges and dangers to bring a unique record of forgotten places.
- Author BiographyThe author is an experienced caver and urban explorer, with a particular interest in photography, local history, archaeology and architecture. She has worked with Stockport Heritage Trust in promoting preservation of local landmarks. Her fascination with underground spaces has taken her into many lost and hidden locations in Stockport, and here she brings us beautiful photographs of the secret places she discovered, bringing to life Stockport's industrial past.
- Author(s)Emma Brown
- PublisherAmberley Publishing
- Date of Publication15/07/2016
- SubjectLocal History, Names & Genealogy
- Place of PublicationChalford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAmberley Publishing
- Content Note121 colour illustrations
- Width165 mm
- Height235 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.87
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $32.21Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $39.30Trending at AU $40.08
- AU $34.50Trending at AU $35.13
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.