All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAnne McCarty Braden (1924-2006) rejected her segregationist, privileged past to become one of the civil rights movement's staunchest white allies. In 1954 she was charged with sedition by McCarthy-style politicians who played on fears of communism to preserve southern segregation. Though Braden remained controversial-even within the civil rights movement-in 1963 she became one of only five white southerners whose contributions to the movement were commended by Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. in his famed Letter from Birmingham Jail. Braden's activism ultimately spanned nearly six decades, making her one of the most enduring white voices against racism in modern U.S. history. Subversive Southerner is more than a riveting biography of an extraordinary southern white woman; it is also a social history of how racism, sexism, and anticommunism intertwined in the twentieth-century South as ripples from the Cold War divided the emerging civil rights movement.
- Author BiographyCatherine Fosl teaches women's and gender studies and communication at the University of Louisville. She is the author of Women for All Seasons.
- Author(s)Catherine Fosl
- PublisherThe University Press of Kentucky
- Date of Publication15/08/2006
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Series TitleCivil Rights and the Struggle for Black Equality in the Twentieth Century
- Place of PublicationLexington
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintThe University Press of Kentucky
- Content Note1, black & white illustrations
- Weight712 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine26 mm
- Foreword byAngela Davis
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Edition StatementNew edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.68Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.14Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.37Trending at AU $36.09
- AU $28.51Trending at AU $29.80
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.