All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.73
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.75
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $25.56
About this product
- DescriptionA century ago, Britain was caught up in one of the most extraordinary events in the country's history - the struggle of its women to obtain the right to vote. While there had been petitions and discussions of the subject throughout the Victorian era, by the beginning of the twentieth century it was time for stronger action. Centralised organisations formed behind Millicent Fawcett and Emmeline Pankhurst. Protests, marches, civil disobedience and arrests followed as the campaign gained momentum. Women chained themselves to railings, smashed windows, committed arson, and Emily Davison died under the hooves of the king's horse on Derby Day 1913. The turning point was the First World War: after it women over the age of thirty obtained the vote at last, and full suffrage came ten years later. The suffragette movement forced every woman in early twentieth-century Britain to think about her place in society: this book looks at issues of vital importance to your ancestors of a century ago. Frank Meeres presents all the important developments in the suffrage movement in a succinct chrological way, bringing the history of the time vividly to life.
- Author BiographyFrank Meeres has worked for many years at the Norfolk Record Office. Norfolk was a hotbed of suffragette activity, and this motivated Frank to explore the history of the movement on a national level. His other books include The Story of Norwich and I Survived the Somme: The Secret Diary of a Tommy, and he co-wrote a book on the history of Yarmouth which was given to every child in the town to celebrate the Millennium. He lives in Norwich.
- Author(s)Frank Meeres
- PublisherAmberley Publishing
- Date of Publication15/05/2013
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Place of PublicationChalford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAmberley Publishing
- Out-of-print date21/01/2017
- Content Note51
- Weight585 g
- Width156 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine19 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.