All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionToday there is a substantial and rapidly growing Muslim population in Europe and North America. Here, as elsewhere, many of the Muslims are Sufis. This book focuses mainly on issues of inculturation or contextualization of Sufism in the West. It shows that, while more traditional forms of Sufism exist, many radical changes have taken place in this part of the world. For instance, in some groups there are female sheikhs and a far-reaching pluralistic attitude to other religions. Hence Sufism is sometimes seen as something that transcends the boundaries of Islam.
- Author BiographyDavid Westerlund is Professor of Religious Studies at Sodertorn University College in Stockholm and teaches also at the Universities of Uppsala and Gavle. His main interests are Islam in Africa and Europe, African indigenous religions and Christian-Muslim relations. He is currently the director of a multi-disciplinary project entitled 'Conflict or Peaceful Co-existence? Contemporary Christian-Muslim Relations'.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication01/12/2003
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Notebibliography
- Weight362 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Edited byDavid Westerlund
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $69.60Trending at AU $91.10
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.55
- AU $24.79Trending at AU $28.00
- AU $41.84Trending at AU $50.31
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.93
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $36.18
- AU $36.69Trending at AU $37.60
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.