All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSugar as a global commodity has shaped our world, impacting cultures and influencing cuisine. The heritage of sugar is investigated in the context of globalization and tourism development. Facets of the sugar story include colonization, enslavement, decolonization and postcolonial tourism while cultural practices traced to sugar include carnival and confectionery as souvenirs. However, what happens where sugar is still produced, where production is in decline, or where the country has exited from producing? How is sugar engrained in national identities and how does this influence tourism? From the perspectives of contributing authors, destination examples include Brazil, India, Taiwan, New Zealand, Australia, Barbados, Cuba, Dominican Republic, St. Lucia, and St. Kitts. This is the first work examining sugar heritage in relation to tourism from a global perspective, identifying related tourism directions.
- Author BiographyLee Jolliffe is a Professor of Hospitality and Tourism, University of New Brunswick, Canada. With a museum studies and tourism background, her research interests include studying how culinary heritage and tourism intersect. Recent publications include the edited volume Sugar Heritage and Tourism in Transition (Channel View Publications, 2013) and the co-authored volume (Hilary du Cros and Lee Jolliffe) The Arts and Events (Routledge, 2014).
- PublisherChannel View Publications Ltd
- Date of Publication06/12/2012
- SubjectIndustrial Studies: General
- Series TitleTourism and Cultural Change
- Series Part/Volume Number32
- Place of PublicationBristol
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintChannel View Publications
- Content Noteblack & white tables, maps, figures
- Weight337 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Edited byLee Jolliffe
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.01Trending at AU $36.78
- AU $13.42Trending at AU $20.05
- AU $30.42Trending at AU $31.31
- AU $27.74Trending at AU $29.97
- AU $24.19Trending at AU $30.14
- AU $14.83Trending at AU $17.90
- AU $13.01Trending at AU $16.62
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.