Summer of Fifty-Seven (Softcover) by Stephen C Joseph (Paperback / softback, 2005)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $23.96Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
Nearly newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $42.95+ AU $7.99 postage
- Like new condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionStop the car, I mean, slow down, please. Do you think there might be any work around here, Mister? Steve Jonas is 19 years old in the summer of 1957, riding his thumb rth and west. He hitches into the two-horse town of Jackson, Wyoming in a June swstorm, and comes face to face with the Grand Teton Range, the peaks that shine by night as by day. Jonas finds work in the National Park, building the mountain trail that is to shape the course of his coming-of-age. It is the late 1950s, a more incent and sweeter time than the turbulent decades to come, but the realities and aspirations of a young man in summer are as always: work, adventure, romance, conflict. Characters larger than life fill his days and nights: Dick Robbins, the backcountry expert who can do absolutely anything, including fly; Nebraska cowboy Jim Burdock, with the trick of looking fast, but actually moving slow; the haunting, enigmatic Kitty, just out of reach. And towering above the others, Billy Jiggs from Driggs, Idaho, profane master of men, and timber, and (surprisingly) music. In the background are the ghosts of two free-trapping Mountain Men from the 1830s, still on the move. As Jonas finds (and occasionally loses) his way in this country of the heart, as the trail moves forward yard by yard, the seeds of his future life-trail take fire, root, and blossom. STEPHEN C. JOSEPH began his life in medicine as Peace Corps Physician in Nepal. Later, he spent three years in Central Africa with a team establishing a new medical school. He has been Chief of Pediatrics in a remote rthern Canadian health zone, and a senior professional with both UNICEF and the Agency for International Development. Dr. Joseph was also Commissioner of Health of the City of New York (his book on the early years of the AIDS epidemic, Dragon Within the Gates, was published by Carroll and Graf), Dean of the University of Minnesota School of Public Health, and Assistant Secretary of Defense for Health Affairs. He is an elected member of the National Academy of Science's Institute of Medicine, and a former Executive Board Chair of the American Public Health Association. An avid outdoorsman (though born in Brooklyn), Dr. Joseph resides in Santa Fe, New Mexico with his wife, Elizabeth Preble, and their dogs and llamas.
- Author(s)Stephen C Joseph
- PublisherSunstone Press
- Date of Publication15/02/2005
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectCrime, Thriller & Adventure
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSunstone Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight245 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine9 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $53.25
- AU $23.66Trending at AU $30.15
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $75.18
- AU $19.99Trending at AU $20.58
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $31.14
- AU $47.56Trending at AU $49.65
- AU $20.50Trending at AU $24.13
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.