All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionJune 12, 1952 only a local sportswriter showed up at the Eau Claire airport to greet a newly signed eighteen-year-old shortstop from Alabama toting a cardboard suitcase. I was scared as hell, said Henry Aaron, recalling his arrival as the new recruit on the city s Class C mir league baseball team.Forty-two years later, as Aaron approached the stadium where the Eau Claire Bears once played, an estimated five thousand people surrounded a newly raised bronze statue of a young Hank Aaron at bat. I had goosebumps, he said later. A lot of things happened to me in my twenty-three years as a ballplayer, but thing touched me more than that day in Eau Claire. For the people of Eau Claire, Aaron s summer two years before his Major League debut with the Milwaukee Braves symbolizes a magical time, when baseball fans in a small city in rthern Wisconsin could live a part of the dream.
- Author BiographyJerry Poling is the news-wire editor and a columnist for the Eau Claire Leader Telegram. He is the author of Downfield: Untold Stories of the Green Bay Packers.
- PublisherUniversity of Wisconsin Press
- Date of Publication15/06/2006
- SubjectBiography: Sport
- Place of PublicationWisconsin
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Wisconsin Press
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight295 g
- Width166 mm
- Height231 mm
- Spine12 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.07New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $73.99New
- AU $61.14Used
- AU $93.21New
- AU $101.29New
- AU $70.76New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $81.85
- AU $22.09Trending at AU $23.44
- AU $87.99Trending at AU $90.37
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.30
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $50.15
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $73.99
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.65
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.