All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMore than forty million visitors per year travel to Sin City to visit the gambling mecca of the world. But gambling is only one part of the city's story. In this carefully documented history, Geoff Schumacher tracks the rise of Las Vegas, including its vital role during World War II; the rise of the Strip in the 1950s; the explosive growth of the 1990s; and the colossal collapse triggered by the real estate bust and ecomic crisis of the mid-2000s. Schumacher surveys the history of the iconic casis, debunking myths and highlighting key players such as Howard Hughes, KirkKerkorian, and Steve Wynn. Schumacher's history also profiles the Las Vegas where more than two million people live. He explores the neighborhoods sprawling beyond the Strip's neon gleam and uncovers a diverse community offering much more than table games, lounge acts, and organized crime. Schumacher discusses contemporary Las Vegas, charting its course from the nation's fastest-growing metropolis to one of the Great Recession's most battered victims. Sun, Sin & Suburbia will appeal to tourists looking to understand more than the glitz and glitter of Las Vegas and to newcomers who want to learn about their new hometown. It will also be an essential addition to any longtime Nevadan's library of local history. First published in 2012 by Stephens Press, this paperback edition is w available from the University of Nevada Press.
- Author BiographyGeoff Schumacher is the director of content for the Mob Museum in Las Vegas, USA. He was a reporter and city editor for the Las Vegas Sun, editor of Las Vegas CityLife and the Las Vegas Mercury, and director of community publications and a weekly columnist for the Las Vegas Review-Journal. Schumacher is also the author of Howard Hughes: Power, Paranoia & Palace Intrigue and the editor of Nevada: 150 Years in the Silver State.
- Author(s)Geoff Schumacher
- PublisherUniversity of Nevada Press
- Date of Publication30/09/2015
- SubjectLocal History, Names & Genealogy
- Place of PublicationReno
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Nevada Press
- Content Note34 black and white photographs
- Weight499 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Edition StatementRevised and Expanded ed
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.03
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.19
- AU $24.13Trending at AU $27.67
- AU $41.84Trending at AU $49.72
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.45
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.35
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.71
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.