All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn Sunday Houses the Sunday House , Elizabeth Hughey embraces the possibility that we can learn as much from objects as we can from other people, from the inanimate as much as the animate. Each poem descends upon a place and a time, takes a few tes, and then leaves quietly without slamming any doors. Sunday Houses the Sunday House reveals what the world is like when your attention is focused elsewhere, when your head is turned the other way. In ineffably beautiful verse, Hughey captures moments in time and place with confidence but without being judgemental. Although it may seem that the scope of these poems is rather small - a good party, a couple of eggs, a housekeeper's daydream - they reveal both a deep intelligence and a spirit of whimsy. Gertrude Stein wrote that she wanted to be drunk with uns, and in a sense that is what Hughey has accomplished here. A native of Alabama, Elizabeth Hughey attended Hollins College and the University of Massachusetts at Amherst, where she received her MFA. Her poems have appeared in Shampoo , the Hat , and the Southern Poetry Review and are forthcoming in La Petite Zine. She lives and teaches in western Massachusetts. Sunday Houses the Sunday House who spent the night for church the next day. Stay Fredericksburg. Every room opens to Kathy. The heart from homestead. The map to go too far. Says Sunday house. Says womanly opposite. Says glass armchair. I'd like to cover the whole thing with rhinestone. The guest downstairs, unframed, whose background is reflected in the silver. Make the bed as Victorian as a stack of soap. Brick house adding fragrance to the mint.
- Author BiographyA native of Alabama, Elizabeth Hughey attended Hollins College and the University of Massachusetts at Amherst, where she received her MFA. Her poems have appeared in Shampoo, the Hat, and the Southern Poetry Review and are forthcoming in La Petite Zine. She lives and teaches in western Massachusetts.
- Author(s)Elizabeth Hughey
- PublisherUniversity of Iowa Press
- Date of Publication15/04/2007
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Place of PublicationIowa
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Iowa Press
- Weight113 g
- Width152 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine7 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.68Trending at AU $111.84
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.50
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.50
- AU $19.36Trending at AU $23.99
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.12
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.34
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.