All listings for this product
About this product
- Description'Railway termini,' wrote E.M. Forster, 'are our gates to the glorious and the unkwn. Through them we pass out into adventure and sunshine...' Now, in this new collection of great journeys from the pages of the Daily and Sunday Telegraph, Michael Kerr follows up his bestselling anthology, Last Call for the Dining Car, with ather feast for the armchair rail traveller. The train sliding out of the station can take you back into the past - in the company of John Betjeman on the Great Western - or into an omius future, w that China has a line across the permafrost to Tibet. The sunshine may be the late-afteron glow on a freight train between LA and Seattle, or the sea light bathing the Cornish coast alongside the branch line to St Ives. The adventure may even be dodging death on the train itself, as Dervla Murphy does on the antiquated rolling stock of Cuba. Sometimes, too, the train tracks people's lives, on a journey into their deepest secrets. Nicholas Shakespeare, travelling around France, pieces together the story of what happened to his aunt, who was stranded there on the brink of war in 1937. Pamela Petro, rattling down the Pacific coast of the US, confronts the demons that have been haunting her since a train crash a quarter of a century ago. From Sandi Toksvig's commuter train to Alexander McCall Smith's night train; from the Indian Pacific to the Maharajas' Express; Sunrise on the Southbound Sleeper is a first-class ticket to ride all the best trains in the world.
- Author BiographyMichael Kerr is deputy travel editor of the Daily Telegraph. He edited Last Call for the Dining Car for Aurum and Bon Voyage!: The Telegraph Book of River and Sea Journeys.
- PublisherAurum Press Ltd
- Date of Publication08/10/2011
- SubjectTrains & Railways: General Interest
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAurum Press Ltd
- Weight635 g
- Width153 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine33 mm
- Edited byMichael E. Kerr
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $50.71Trending at AU $62.46
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $72.91
- AU $32.60Trending at AU $36.89
- AU $30.05Trending at AU $40.13
- AU $14.93Trending at AU $22.05
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.06
- AU $26.84Trending at AU $29.51
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.