All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe shifting continents of the Earth are heading for inevitable collision. Two hundred and fifty million years from w, all the landmasses on this planet will come together in a single, gigantic supercontinent which human is ever likely to see. That future supercontinent will t be the first to form on Earth, r will it be the last. Each cycle lasts half a billion years, making it the grandest of all the patterns in nature.It is scarcely a century since science first understood how Pangaea, the supercontinent which gave birth to disaurs, split apart, but scientists can w look back three-quarters of a billion years into the Earth's almost indecipherable past to reconstruct Pangaea's predecessor, and computer-model the shape of the Earth's far-distant future.Ted Nield's book tells the astounding story of how that science emerged (often in the face of fierce opposition), and how scientists today are using the most modern techniques to draw information out of the oldest rocks on Earth. It also reveals the remarkable human story of the Altantis-seeking visionaries and madmen, who have been imagining lost or undiscovered continents for centuries.Ultimately all supercontinents exist only in the human imagination, but understanding the Supercontinent Cycle represents thing less than finally kwing how our planet works.
- Author BiographyTed Nield holds a doctorate in geology and currently works for the Geology Society of London, where he is Editor of their monthly magazine Geoscientist. He is Chair of the British Association of Science Writers and Chair of the Outreach Programme of the International Year of the Earth, a UN-backed venture. He lives in London.
- Author(s)Ted Nield
- PublisherGranta Books
- Date of Publication01/09/2008
- SubjectPopular Science
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- First Published2008
- ImprintGranta Books
- Content NoteIllustrations (some col.)
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine21 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.87
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $32.21Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $39.30Trending at AU $40.08
- AU $34.50Trending at AU $35.13
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.