Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $56.66Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by the_nile
- Est. delivery by 14 Mar
- AU $50.95+ AU $12.95 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFrom Wonder Woman's satin stars and golden bracelets to Batman's brooding cape and mask, the style of superheroes' dress has influenced both street wear and high fashion. This richly illustrated book explores how radical couture, avant-garde sportswear, and state-of-the-art military garments--as seen through the lens of the superhero--can be metaphors for sex, power, and politics. Beginning with the origins of the superhero costume, this volume looks at how designers have been influenced by icographic components such as the cape, mask, boots, and unitard. Costumes, such as those worn by Batman and Catwoman, are examined as reflections of sexual and physical prowess, while others, most tably those of Superman and Captain America, are analyzed as political propaganda. Superheroes also explores superpowers and their manifestations----literal, symbolic, or metaphorical: Flash's speed, Iron Man's invulnerability, Hulk's strength, and Spiderman's agility are presented in their fantastical evocations. Featured designers include Pierre Cardin, John Gallia, Azzedine Alaia, Giorgio Armani, Hussein Chalayan, Alexander McQueen, Nicolas Ghesquiere, Jean Paul Gaultier, Comme des Garcons, and Walter van Beirendonck.
- Author BiographyHarold Koda is Curator in Charge and Andrew Bolton is Curator, both at The Costume Institute , The Metropolitan Museum of Art. They are coauthors of Chanel (2005), Dangerous Liaisons: Fashion and Furniture in the Eighteenth Century (2006), and Poiret (2007).
- Author(s)Andrew Bolton,Harold Koda
- PublisherYale University Press
- Date of Publication13/05/2008
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Series TitleMetropolitan Museum of Art
- Place of PublicationNew Haven
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintYale University Press
- Content Note200 colour illustrations
- Weight1293 g
- Width248 mm
- Height305 mm
- Spine19 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.87
- AU $30.28Trending at AU $30.98
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $32.21Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $34.80
- AU $39.30Trending at AU $40.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.