Supporting Students with Literacy Difficulties: A Responsive Approach by Janice Wearmouth, Mere Berryman, Ted Glynn (Paperback, 2005)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $39.58Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by blackwelloxford
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $94.43+ AU $24.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- Description'Arguably the most common sense, and certainly the most informative, contemporary text on literacy! Glynn, Wearmouth and Berryman bring a wealth of experience to the field of literacy, culture and family/school collaboration. We are indebted to the authors for putting together such an informative and groundbreaking text that has overarching relevance in today's multicultural society' - Dr Gavin Reid, University of Edinburgh, UK. 'A much needed text to counter the overly psychological approach to teaching literacy. It emphasizes a socio-cultural approach which puts the focus on the interactive, responsive and social elements of the child learning to read in relation to the world around them' - Wally Penetito, Victoria University, New Zealand.In many countries, school populations are becoming increasingly socially and culturally diverse, and delivering effective literacy programmes is becoming more challenging and complex. This book shows schools how to address difficulties with literacy learning experienced by students of diverse backgrounds, by employing strategies that respond to and affirm difference. This 'responsive approach' actively engages with students' prior kwledge and experiences and ensures that these are fully validated in the literacy activities of the classroom. The responsive approach includes members of students' homes and communities collaborating to facilitate their participation in defining and delivering literacy programmes.This book illustrates ways in which teachers and other adults can create responsive social contexts at school and at home, to enable all children to participate fully in reading, writing and oral language activities in the classroom. It offers effective strategies for overcoming barriers to literacy learning, including: reading tutoring that promotes comprehension and independence; writing partnerships that respond to children's messages Responsive feedback strategies; and, interactive contexts that promote student responsibility for learning Community and school collaboration to develop authentic learning tasks. Supporting Students with Literacy Difficulties: A Responsive Approach is key reading for teacher education students, practising teachers and parents.
- Author BiographyTed Glynn is Foundation Professor of Teacher Education at the University of Waikato and a Fellow of the Royal Society of New Zealand. He has a wide background in applied behaviour analysis, inclusive education, and Maori and bilingual education. Ted is a member of the Ministry of Education (Group Special Education) Poutama Pounamu Maori Education Research Centre in Tauranga. Dr Janice Wearmouth is Senior Lecturer in Special and Inclusive Education at the Open University, U.K. and Director of the Centre for Curriculum and Teaching Studies. She has many years experience as a teacher in schools and as a researcher in the area of literacy difficulties. Mere Berryman is of Maori descent from Ngai Tuhoe, a tribe within the Bay of Plenty region in New Zealand. She has extensive experience as a primary teacher in English and bilingual settings, and in special education. She currently manages the N.Z. Ministry of Education (Group Special Education) Poutama Pounamu Maori Education Research and Development Centre, and is completing her PhD in Education at the University of Waikato.
- Author(s)Janice Wearmouth,Mere Berryman,Ted Glynn
- PublisherOpen University Press
- Date of Publication01/11/2005
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationMilton Keynes
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOpen University Press
- Weight1 g
- Width61 mm
- Height91 mm
- Spine6 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.65New
- AU $93.38Used
- AU $93.38New
- AU $101.47New
- AU $80.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.00
- AU $87.90Trending at AU $90.54
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.44
- AU $39.02Trending at AU $50.24
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $74.12
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.80
- AU $21.33Trending at AU $23.60
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.