All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSam Bleakley and the surf EXPLORE team take us on a roller coaster ride through Gabon, India, Vietnam, Algeria, China and Haiti, drumming up a tropical beat. Combining 'Deep Travel', John Callahan's incredible photography and Sam's performance writing, they capture the spirit of these turbulent coast scapes, blood racing, running on salt water fuel. The wide belt around the Equator - the tropics - has become an alluring path for travel, but a region often steeped in war and environmental disasters. Sam and surf EXPLORE go off the regular route, carving a niche, collaborating with locals, documenting the occasion poetically and with precision. Where 'waves transform from green glass to white foam, the surfboard is the frozen double of that transition - a rainbow bridge that allows you to step in the blink of an eye from inertia to adrenaline-fuelled ecstasy to the fear of the water-wrestling hold-down.' The paradoxical red hot and cool blue of surfing, and the often icy logic of preparation for challenging travel, form a matrix from which springs a distinctive kind of writing as performance. By turns, surf EXPLORE gather their wits at the cross roads where 'lovers part and souls get taken by the lost high way, lured down the wrong route.'
- Author BiographySam Bleakley is a professional surfer, writer and explorer. He has been a multiple European, British and English long board surfing champion, and is sponsored by Biomimetics Health Industries UK. He has an MA in Geography from Pembroke College, University of Cambridge and is currently researching a PhD in Travel Writing at University College Falmouth. He is author of Surfing Brilliant Corners, and is widely published and featured in international magazines, including The Surfer's Path, Wend, SurfNews and Pacific Long boarder. Sam lives with his family above Gwenver Beach, Sennen, Cornwall.
- Author(s)Sam Bleakley
- PublisherAlison Hodge
- Date of Publication12/04/2012
- SubjectWater Sports
- Place of PublicationCornwall
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAlison Hodge
- Content Note143 colour photos
- Width170 mm
- Height220 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Illustrator(s)J. S. Callahan
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.22
- AU $24.97Trending at AU $34.99
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $34.74
- AU $39.51Trending at AU $40.18
- AU $40.67Trending at AU $41.34
- AU $36.57Trending at AU $37.25
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.