All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book charts the history of the worldwide introduction of an operative treatment method for broken bones, osteosynthesis, by a Swiss-based association, called AO. In close cooperation surgeons, scientists and manufacturers succeeded in establishing the complicated and risky technique as standard treatment. This success story provides the opportunity to examine key developments at the crossroads of medicine, science and industry in the second half of the twentieth century, such as the relationships between clinic and laboratory, statistics and risk assessment as well as the ethical problems arising from the symbiosis of science and industry. The study shows how the spread of new medical techniques depends on simultaneous adoption of the necessary kwledge and skills among practitioners and its acceptance by patients, and analyzes the impact of cultural variety on these processes. It thus sheds light on the nature of modern medicine as a science-based, standardized and highly efficient way of treating bodily ills.
- Author BiographyTHOMAS SCHLICH is a Medical Historian with a double qualification in history and medicine. He has published widely on history of nineteenth and twentieth century science and medicine. He is the author of books on the history of organ transplantation and the ethical, legal and cultural problems connected with transplant medicine.
- Author(s)Thomas Schlich
- PublisherPalgrave Macmillan
- Date of Publication19/06/2002
- SubjectMedicine: General
- Series TitleScience, Technology and Medicine in Modern History
- Place of PublicationBasingstoke
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPalgrave Macmillan
- Content Notebiography
- Weight611 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine27 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $99.00Trending at AU $101.13
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $79.66
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.26
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $71.39
- AU $61.99Trending at AU $63.74
- AU $95.88Trending at AU $99.57
- AU $89.90Trending at AU $112.26
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.