All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis collection of essays, inspired by Andre Breton s concept of the limites n-frontieres of Surrealism, focuses on the crossings, intersections and margins of the surrealist movement rather than its divides and exclusion zones. Some of the essays originated as papers given at the colloquium Surrealism: Crossings/Frontiers held at the Institute of Romance Studies, University of London, in November 2001. Surrealism is foregrounded as a trajectory rather than a fixed body of doctrines, radically challenging the tion of frontiers. The essays explore real and imaginary journeys, as well as the urban derives of the surrealists and situationists. The concept of crossing, central to a reading of the dynamics at work in Surrealism, is explored in studies of the surrealist object, which eludes or elides genres, and explorations of the shifting sites of identity, as in the work of Joyce Mansour or Andre Masson. Surrealism s engagement with frontiers is further investigated through a number of revealing cases, such as a political reading of 1930s photography, the parodic rewriting of the popular locked room mystery, or the surrealists cavalier redrawing of the map of the world. The essays contribute to our understanding of the diversity and dynamism of Surrealism as an international and interdisciplinary movement.
- Author BiographyThe Editor: Elza Adamowicz is Professor of French at Queen Mary, University of London. She has written extensively on surrealist art, film and texts, including Surrealist Collage: Dissecting the Exquisite Corpse (1998) and Ceci n est pas un tableau: les ecrits surrealistes sur l art (2004).
- PublisherVerlag Peter Lang
- Date of Publication01/07/2006
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Series TitleEuropean Connections
- Series Part/Volume Number18
- Place of PublicationPieterlen
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- ImprintVerlag Peter Lang
- Content Note16 ill.
- Weight370 g
- Width220 mm
- Height150 mm
- Edited byElza Adamowicz
Best Selling in Textbooks
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $72.47New
- AU $65.12Used
- AU $78.93New
- AU $105.86New
- AU $75.86Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $21.57Trending at AU $23.16
- AU $118.00Trending at AU $128.66
- AU $17.62Trending at AU $20.12
- AU $70.00Trending at AU $88.70
- AU $84.90Trending at AU $88.09
- AU $75.90Trending at AU $82.63
- AU $21.61Trending at AU $23.07
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.