All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe south London parish of Battersea has roots as a working village, growing produce for London markets, and as a high-class suburb, with merchants' villas on the elevated ground around Clapham and Wadsworth Commons. Battersea enjoyed spectacular growth during Queen Victoria's reign, and railroads brought industry and a robust building boom, transforming the parish into ather of London's dense, smoky neighborhoods, though t without its unique and distinguishing features. Among these are Battersea Park, which was created by the Crown in the 1850s; the monumental Battersea Power Station, completed in 1939; and Clapham Junction railway station, which is, by measure of passenger interchanges, the busiest station in the United Kingdom. The two latest volumes of the Survey of London, 49 and 50, trace Battersea's development from medieval times to the present day. Offering detailed analysis of its streets and buildings both thematically and topographically, and including copious original in-depth research and investigation, the books are a trove of architectural history and British history. Profusely illustrated with new and archival images, architectural drawings and maps, these volumes are welcome additions to the acclaimed Survey of London series.
- Author BiographyAndrew Saint is the general editor of The Survey of London and the author of Richard Norman Shaw.
- Author(s)Andrew Saint
- PublisherYale University Press
- Date of Publication01/11/2013
- Series TitleSurvey of London
- Series Part/Volume Number49
- Place of PublicationNew Haven
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintYale University Press
- Content Note200 colour images + 250 black-&-white illustrations
- Weight2427 g
- Width222 mm
- Height286 mm
- Spine38 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $37.00Trending at AU $37.79
- AU $20.56Trending at AU $28.58
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.49
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $9.90
- AU $15.62Trending at AU $17.49
- AU $43.92Trending at AU $50.20
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.85
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.