All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSurveying the North sets out to recognise -- and celebrate -- Frank Swannell as British Columbia's most famous pioneer surveyor and his important place within the history of British Columbia. Considered one of British Columbia's most famous pioneer surveyors, Frank Swannell surveyed much of rthern BC for the provincial government between 1908 and 1914, taking many striking photographs of the area and its people. Together with his journal, these images constitute the best record of the region during this period of ermous transition. His photos include portraits of the First Nations people, settlers and other well-kwn people in the region, plus images of well-kwn historical routes such as the Grease Trail and Yukon Telegraph Trail. The many modes of transportation of the time, including sternwheelers and stagecoaches, are also chronicled through Swannell's masterful lens. Author Jay Sherwood has culled the best photographs and journals from both the BC Archives' collection and that of the BC land surveyors to create Surveying the North, a vivid illustration of rthern BC from 1908 to 1914. With an engaging text that brings the era to life, Sherwood creates an accessible and entertaining saga for the modern reader. Says Sherwood about Swannell's work, His photographs appear in most books that cover the BC Interior in the early 20th century, yet he is seldom given more than passing credit. Surveying the North sets out to correct this oversight by recognising -- and celebrating -- Swannell's important place within the history of British Columbia.
- Author BiographyA historian and former surveyor, Jay Sherwood is the author of Surveying Northern British Columbia, a 2005 BC Book Prize finalist. From 1979 to 1986, he lived and taught school in Vanderhoof, where he first learned about Frank Swannell. He now lives in Vancouver, where he works as a teacher-librarian.
- Author(s)Jay Sherwood
- PublisherCaitlin Press
- Date of Publication01/10/2004
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Place of PublicationSaint George
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintCaitlin Press
- Content Note100+ b/w photos
- Weight726 g
- Width280 mm
- Height280 mm
- Spine12 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
- AU $74.22New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.41Trending at AU $23.51
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.22
- AU $87.99Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $74.22
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.