All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis positive, straightforward book offers kids with autism spectrum disorders (ASDs) their own comprehensive resource for both understanding their condition and finding tools to cope with the challenges they face every day. Some children with ASDs are gifted; others struggle academically. Some are more introverted, while others try to be social. Some get stuck on things, have limited interests, or experience repeated motor movements like flapping or pacing ( stims ). The Survival Guide for Kids with Autism Spectrum Disorders covers all of these areas, with an emphasis on helping children gain new self-understanding and self-acceptance. Meant to be read with a parent, the book addresses questions ( What s an ASD? Why me? ) and provides strategies for communicating, making and keeping friends, and succeeding in school. Body and brain basics highlight symptom management, exercise, diet, hygiene, relaxation, sleep, and toileting. Emphasis is placed on helping kids handle intense emotions and behaviors and get support from family and their team of helpers when needed. The book includes stories from real kids, fact boxes, helpful checklists, resources, and a glossary. Sections for parents offer more detailed information.
- Author BiographyElizabeth Verdick has been writing books since 1997, the year her daughter was born. Her two children, now ages 14 and 10, are the inspiration for nearly everything she writes. In this survival guide, she writes from the perspective of a mother with a son on the spectrum and a passionate advocate for kids and parents in the autism community. She is the author of books in several Free Spirit series including Toddler Tools, Best Behavior, Laugh & Learn, and Adding Assets for Kids. Elizabeth lives with her family and five pets near St. Paul, Minnesota.Elizabeth Reeve, M.D., contributes not only her medical knowledge, but also her experiences as a mother of a son who has autism. Her clinical work focuses primarily on children and adults with developmental disabilities, and she has worked with many community organizations providing services to this population. In addition to her research and patient care, she is involved in teaching on a daily basis, regularly speaks in the community to educate others in the field of developmental disabilities, and stays up-to-date on this ever-changing field. Her recent endeavors focus on transition issues for young adults with ASDs as they enter college and the work force. She currently works in St. Paul and lives in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
- Author(s)Elizabeth Reeve,Elizabeth Verdick
- PublisherFree Spirit Publishing Inc.,U.S.
- Date of Publication24/05/2012
- SubjectYoung Adult General Interest & Leisure
- Place of PublicationMinneapolis
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintFree Spirit Publishing Inc.,U.S.
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight522 g
- Width178 mm
- Height226 mm
- Spine13 mm
Best-selling in Other Children & Young Adults
Save on Other Children & Young Adults
- AU $128.00Trending at AU $198.07
- AU $138.24Trending at AU $166.93
- AU $26.91Trending at AU $29.25
- AU $11.95Trending at AU $13.22
- AU $46.38Trending at AU $52.20
- AU $14.90Trending at AU $23.48
- AU $38.98Trending at AU $44.19
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.