All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.59Trending at AU $36.89
- AU $26.57Trending at AU $36.89
- AU $30.05Trending at AU $40.13
- AU $14.93Trending at AU $22.05
- AU $28.03Trending at AU $30.06
- AU $26.84Trending at AU $29.51
- AU $19.77Trending at AU $29.90
About this product
- DescriptionGlobalization has reached even the most remote areas of Latin America, pushing traditional peoples and habitats to the brink of extinction and offering a stark choice: adapt or perish. Local communities are scrambling to adjust to new market and social realities while trying to hold on to those cultural values that they regard as n-negotiable. This book tells the important story of three Latin American communities experiencing globalization at the point of contact between tradition and modernity: Brazil's rubber tappers, Bolivia's Guaran Indians, and Nicaragua's women cooperativists. Through exclusive, in-depth interviews, Heyck describes globalization and development in the words of people who are experiencing these forces at the grassroots level. The result is a multifaceted understanding of local and global connections and of the human, cultural, and religious dimensions of globalization.
- Author BiographyDenis Lynn Daly Heyck is a professor at Loyola University Chicago, and is author of Tradicion y cambio: lecturas sobre la cultura latinoamericana contemporanea, 2nd ed. (McGraw-Hill, 1997); Barrios and Borderlands: Cultures of Latinos and Latinas in the United States (Routledge, 1994); and Life Stories of the Nicaraguan Revolution (Routledge, 1990).
- Author(s)Denis Lynn Daly Heyck
- PublisherBroadview Press Ltd
- Date of Publication08/01/2002
- SubjectEconomics: Professional & General
- Place of PublicationPeterborough
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintBroadview Press Ltd
- Content Noteillustrations, maps
- Weight420 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.