All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionLimited supplies of fossil fuels and concerns about global warming have created a strong desire to solve the resource issue in the age beyond petroleum . This reference book, from the Green Chemistry Series , contains the essential areas of green chemistry and sustainability in modern ecomies. It is the first book to outline the contribution of chemistry, and of renewable chemical or biological resources, to the sustainability concept and to the potential resolution of the world's energy problems. It describes the current status of technical research, and industrial application, as well as the potential of biomass as a renewable resource for energy generation in power stations, as alternative fuels, and for various uses in chemistry. It outlines the historical routes of the sustainability concept and specifies sustainability in metrics, facts and figures. The book is written by European experts from academia, industry and investment banking who are world leaders in research and techlogy regarding sustainability, alternative energies and renewable resources. The sustainability aspects covered include: * consumer behaviour and demands, lifestyles and mega trends, and their impact on invation in the industry * consumer industry requirements and their impact on suppliers * emerging paradigm changes in raw material demand, availability, sourcing, and logistics * the contribution of the industry to restore the life support systems of the Earth * socially responsible banking and investment * sustainability metrics The book highlights the potential of the different forms of renewable raw materials including: * natural fats and oils * plant-based biologically active ingredients * industrial starch * sucrose * natural rubber * wood * natural fibres It also covers the actual status of biomass usage for green energy generation, green transportation, green chemistry and sustainable nutrition and consumer goods, and it depicts the potentials of green solvents and white biotechlogy for modern synthesis and manufacturing techlogies. The book is aimed at technical and marketing people in industry, universities and institutions as well as readers in administrations and NGOs. The book will also be of value to the worldwide public interested in sustainability issues and strategies as well as others interested in the practical means that are being used to reduce the environmental impact of chemical processes and products, to further eco-efficiency, and to advance the utilization of renewable resources.
- Author BiographyRainer H/fer is Vice-President (Emeritus) of Cognis GmbH, Monheim, Germany. He has received the Henkel Innovation Award for Environmentally Benign Organic Specialty Chemicals, the Cognis Innovation Award for a new Star-polymer-based Defoamer Concept, the Federation of German Industries (BDI) Award for Environmentally Benign Surfactant-Systems based on Renewable Raw Materials, the Solvsafe Consortium Award for his Contribution to Sustainable Chemistry, and has close to 200 patents and published journal and book articles. Dr. H/fer graduated in inorganic chemistry at G/ttingen University. He spent three years at the Technical University of Oran (ENSEP), Algeria, as Ma-tre de ConfUrences and Directeur de l'Institut de Chimie before joining Henkel KGaA in D^3sseldorf. With Henkel and Cognis he has assumed research and development, application technology, technical sales service, strategic business development and technology scouting responsibilities in oleochemistry, polymer chemistry and surfactant chemistry for the global polymerization, coatings, graphic arts, adhesives, engineering plastics, agrochemical, synthetic lubricants, and pulp & paper markets.
- PublisherRoyal Society of Chemistry
- Date of Publication01/11/2009
- SubjectEnvironment & Planning
- Series TitleGreen Chemistry Series
- Series Part/Volume Numberv. 4
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintRoyal Society of Chemistry
- Content Note3 colour illustrations
- Weight907 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine33 mm
- Edited byRainer Hofer
- Series Edited byJames H. Clark,George A. Kraus
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $36.60
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.92
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.07
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $35.13
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $27.01
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.