Swedish Modernism: Architecture, Consumption and the Welfare State by Reinhold Martin, Penny Sparke, Joan Ockman (Paperback, 2010)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $60.95+ AU $12.95 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSwedish Modernism is a comprehensive reader analysing the role of modern architecture, city planning and consumption in the construction of the Swedish welfare state. The book draws mainly from the formative phase of the Swedish model, but also on European and American examples, and attempts to highlight the contradictions and complexities of the process of modernisation. Swedish Modernism provides an in-depth, multilayered account of the process of modernisation; whilst also highlighting the difficulties found. The debate is enriched from a diverse range of contributors including architects, researchers and leading academics from across the globe. Swedish Modernism includes an introduction from Helena Mattsson and Sven-Olov Wallenstein and contributions from leading academics from New York's Columbia University and London's UCL; alongside architects in the field. The essays explore the construction of the welfare state, contextualising this in relation to the political and social factors of the time, consumers and spectacles--from housing to national marketing programmes. Specific case studies are featured and the reader ends with a section dealing with the more general problem of historiography.
- Author BiographyReinhold Martin is an Associate Professor at the Graduate School of Architecture, Planning, and Preservation, Columbia University, and Director of the Temple Hoyne Buell Center for Study of American Architecture, Columbia University. He is also partner in the firm Martin/Baxi Architects, New York. Penny Sparke is a Pro Vice-Chancellor and Professor of Design History at Kingston University, London. UK Joan Ockman is Director of the Temple Hoyne Buell Center for the Study of American Architecture at Columbia University's Graduate School of Architecture, Planning and Preservation. She lives in Elkins Park, Pennsylvania. Helena Mattsson is an architect and researcher. She is teaching at the School of Architecture/Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm. She is a member of the architectural collaboration Testbedstudio Stockholm, as well as of the editorial board of Site magazine. Sven-Olov Wallenstein teaches philosophy at the University College of Sodertorn, and architectural theory at the Royal Institute of Technology, both in Stockholm, and is the editor-in-chief of Site.
- Author(s)Joan Ockman,Penny Sparke,Reinhold Martin
- PublisherBlack Dog Publishing London UK
- Date of Publication01/06/2010
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBlack Dog Publishing Ltd
- Content Note173 b&w and colour illustrations
- Weight839 g
- Width190 mm
- Height250 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edited byHelena Mattsson,Sven-Olov Wallenstein
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $48.97
- AU $35.06Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.95
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.30
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.35
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.